Wednesday, 9 January 2013

Survival Guide

I enter the blogosphere with the a Bachelor of Business (majors in Accounting and Film & Video), a Masters Degree in Screen Production (WA Screen Academy), around thirty films to my name and no idea as to what I do next.

Finally after five years in tertiary education I have arrived at this point.

I now graduate into full time employment that will provide multiple career progression opportunities with job stability and good pay, and all the while I get to live the dream by making films and letting my creative passions come to life.

^^That ^^ is total BULLSHIT. Here is the first horrifying reality that university doesn't communicate to you when you enrol in a $30,000 degree. You will spend the next ten years of your life without job security and low pay. Every week you will wonder where your next pay check is coming from and sometimes you will go weeks without pay.

This can be for a number of reasons:
1. No matter how hard you try you cant find employment on any production
2. You are working on a film set (your own or someone else's) and you are doing it for free.
3. You are an absolute retard incapable of printing off a CV and taking it to a company.

I have experienced all three in recent times and thats why I have started this blog. This is my first hand experience of my attempts to find employment and succeed in the film industry. Each day as I learn something, so will you.

More than anything this is about information sharing. If you have come across something cool or learnt in invaluable lesson let me know.

My first tip for the Producers out there (and any interested directors) is to buy Chris Gores Ultimate Film Festival Survival Guide.
http://www.amazon.com/Chris-Gores-Ultimate-Festival-Survival/dp/0823099717

It is a fantastically realistic view on Filmmaking and Film Festivals. It also has various how to lists for things like Press Kits.





No comments:

Post a Comment